Our latest sermon series is based on our Core Values. Each week we will be covering one of our church’s five core values. This week we are talking about worship. Unlike what most people think when they hear the word worship, it is not simply what we do when we sing songs about God. We are born worshipping. We are either worshipping someone or something or we are worshipping our Creator. This week we are going to try and understand what worship is and how we can align our hearts and minds to make sure we worship the only one who deserves to be worshipped…our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Here’s a short outline with a link to the sermon below, or if you have iTunes, you can go to our page there and subscribe to our podcast.
THE CORE: Worship
I. We Are Created Worshipping
1. Worship is honoring someone or something: glory.
2. Worship is something we do: sacrifice.
Our lives are about not doing some things so we can find time or money to do things more important to us.
II. We Have a Worship Problem
1. Sin is making something else more central to your significance, purpose, and happiness than your relationship with God.
2. Whatever we base our identity and value on becomes deified.
3. The root of the problem is always that you are worshipping something or someone over God.
4. We must constantly seek and smash our idols!
III. The Essentials of Biblical Worship
2. Proclamation: lips that confess Jesus’ name
3. Service: doing good as a demonstration of the gospel
4. Participation: sharing with others as a demonstration of grace
5. Sacrifice: giving of time, talent, and treasure
6. Submission: respecting godly authority placed over us